Freeplay, WitcherCon, Farewell Dogmeat
Freeplay 2021 Awards
Freeplay is Australia’s largest celebration of Australian independent games, and each year displays a diverse array of games, made by developers from all walks of life. This year, the Freeplay Award was granted to Umurangi Generation by Origame Digital, a first person photography game set in the future.
Some other finalists includes:
- Webbed by Sbug Games for Excellence in Design
- A Long Goodbye by Dana McKay for Excellence in Narrative
- Neon Cyborg Cat Club by Edwin Montgomer for Experimental Game Award
- Completely Stretchy and Uncomfortably Sticky by Daniel Ferguson for Excellence in Visual Art
- The Lighthouse At The Edge Of The Universe by Ella Lim for Non-Digital Game Award
- The Snowgardens by Anthony Cristiano for Student Game Award
- Mealmates by magicdweedoo for Excellence in Audio
- UNDER A STAR CALLED SUN by Cecile Richard for Micro-Game Award
- Before We Leave by Balancing Monkey Games for Across The Ditch Award
For more information about Freeplay, and to check out these finalists, as well as semi-finalists, you can click here.
WitcherCon is Almost Here!
Fans of the books, games, and show will be able to come together for all things Witcher at WitcherCon, a digital convention taking place on July 9 on Netflix, YouTube, and Twitch.
Fans are being warned that there will be no new game announcement, however there is plenty to look forward to, such as a deep dive into the making of the games, the Netflix series, merchandise, and behind-the-scenes footage. In addition, there will be interactive panels with people involved in the creation of The Witcher, with never-before-seen reveals, and explorations into the lore and the world of The Witcher.
There is a lot more to look forward to, so if you’re a fan, definitely check out the full schedule here.
Real Life Dogmeat Passes Away
Fallout fans are probably well aware of Dogmeat, the canine companion who helps and backs up the player through thick and thin. A brave and capable German Shepard, its no secret that Dogmeat is held fondly in many hearts.
The real life inspiration for the Fallout companion, River, has sadly passed away. Fallout 4 senior designer, Joel Burgess, tweets:
“Dogmeat is a tether. He grounds you in the world, will always stand by you, lead you to your family, and anticipate your needs. He wants you to be safe and happy.
In other words, he loves you.
And if love is River’s legacy, I am contented.
Rest in peace, big girl.”
River had won an award for her role in Fallout 4, and true to Dogmeat’s companion role in the game, she had a major role as a companion to developers.
And now for some upcoming game releases!
- Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights (PS4, PS5)
- A Plague Tale: Innocence (PS5, XSX, Switch)
- Watch Dogs Legion: Bloodline DLC (PC, PS4, PS5, XSX, XBO)