VR and the End
PSVR 2 Release Details
The Australian release date and price for the PSVR 2 have been announced. For a kingly sum of $879.95 AUD, which is $80 more than the console itself, you can pick yourself up a headset and sense controllers on February 22nd, 2023. Pre-Orders will open on November 15th. Together with the details there was an announcement of 11 games coming to the platform during the release window along with the previously announced Horizon Call of the Mountain. Most titles are already available on other VR platforms, but a new Dark Pictures game was announced as well as a new game in the Crossfire series subtitled Sierra Squad.
If you die in the game, you die in real life
Oculus founder Palmer Lucky has decided to commemorate the date of “the SAO Incident” from the fictional series Sword Art Online in which players were trapped in a virtual world with very real consequences, by creating a VR headset that can kill you.
“I used three of the explosive charge modules I usually use for a different project, tying them to a narrow-band photosensor that can detect when the screen flashes red at a specific frequency, making game-over integration on the part of the developer very easy. When an appropriate game-over screen is displayed, the charges fire, instantly destroying the brain of the user.”
Palmer posted the headset on his blog also noting that he considered it an art piece to provoke thought and did not intend to try it out.
Former leads at Disco Elysium studio ZA/UM have released a statement accusing the current ownership, Ilmar Kompus and Tõnis Haavel of gaining control of the developer via fraudulent means.
“Needless to say, it has been a very difficult time for us. After five years of gruelling work we released Disco Elysium, a game beloved by millions. As our reward, we were summarily fired and cut off from our life’s work — the world of Elysium. The company we built has been looted, while our own earnings are insufficient even to cover legal fees.
Until now, we’ve refrained from speaking out. This has been entirely voluntary, out of consideration for the people still working at ZA/UM — and for our own mental health. But given the severity of our suspicions — and the seriousness of the evidence we have — we think it’s time people knew what has transpired at the company.”
Robert Kurvitz and Aleksander Rostov who acted as Game Director and Art Director respectively on the hit game along with Writer Helen Hindpere were fired from the company last year. The current owners have fired back claiming the creative leads were fired due to toxic behaviour.
- In what might be the longest gap between release and DLC the Tomorrow Corporation has announced a holiday themed expansion to their 2012 burning-things-in-a-fireplace game Little Inferno. The expansion called Ho Ho Holiday will launch of November 19th.
- For all you fans of pocket monsters… watch out! The upcoming Pokémon Scarlet & Violet has leaked, and the internet is awash with spoilers. If you’re sensitive to such details, it might be advisable to avoid certain platforms until the games release.
- Dark Souls Remastered for the PC has finally had its online features returns. The online was originally taken down in January along with the rest of the series due to a hacker exploit. The two sequels returned in October, but the original Prepare to Die Edition is not set ever have its online restored.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons is now Japan’s highest selling game ever at 10.45 million copies pulling ahead of the previous front runner Pokémon Red / Green / Blue.
- Nintendo streamed an Indie World event to show off a few upcoming indie titles coming to the switch. The event ended with a announcement of the release window for Queensland’s own Sports Story the follow up to the hit sport rpg Golf Story. The game will be available on the Nintendo Switch this December.
Tactics Ogre: Reborn (PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch, PC), Valkyrie Elysium (PC) – November 11
Floodland (PC), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge (PlayStation 5) , Pentiment (Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PC), Somerville (Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PC) – November 15